You can either spend tons of money on a Touratech one or you can spend almost the same amount on parts and some time, making a tool roll yourself. The latter is more fun and you get to make them to your own specs, so we did that 🙂
We wanted to be able to fit our hammer (our most used tool 😉 ) into them, so we went on a long walk (yes, you guessed it: with some beers 😉 ) and went through skip after skip on south-east London’s streets, looking for a 4 inch drain or soil pipe. We gave up as it got dark….. and found a few in a skip a couple of streets from home 🙂
We then got some soil pipe stops, which we glued into one end with silicone sealant. I believe that end is now watertight.
They then got spay painted black 🙂 Not sure the paint will stay….. but hey, the rolls are probably going to get super muddy and somewhat bashed up anyways.
Finally fit a wing nut test stop in the other end as a lid, and you have a tool roll 🙂 The wing nut is tightened, pressing the two brass plates together. That squashes the rubber ring outwards, thus fitting snugly against the inside wall of the pipe. Watertight 🙂 But not sure how it copes with vibrations…. I guess only time and a long trip will tell – I’ll let you know 🙂
And then you just find a spot on the bike to fit it. Ours is quite big, so options are limited. Aidan fitted his to Pipa’s crash bars at the front, using jubilee clips, and I will probably do the same with Seven. We had to cut off a small bit of the mud guard, so it wouldn’t bump into the tool roll when turning the handlebars (I bet BWM’s designers are cringing at this 😉 ). But its not like we will resell the bikes after the trip, so practicality over beauty any day! The wheel gets quite close to the tool roll, when going over bumps. I hope it doesn’t hit the roll so hard, that it locks the wheel! Only one way to find out 😉